Tips for Funeral Planning for Millennials
You probably haven’t and don’t want to think about funeral planning if you’re a millennial or in a similarly young age group. We don’t blame you – even people that aren’t as young as you don’t want to think about their passing! However, you should spend time thinking about what you want for a funeral home Muskegon, MI as preplanning is very important. How do you get started?
These tips can help:
- Getting Started – The very first step is to choose a funeral home, as someone will need to prepare your remains for disposition, handle your service, and even be a place to hold your service. Do some research on local funeral homes to learn about their prices, services, beliefs, and offerings. This way you can find one that has what you need and want.
- Moving Away from Religion – Younger generations are also moving away from the funeral and memorial services, as many people think that funerals and memorials are strictly religious events. While funerals can certainly be religious, they don’t have to be. You can choose to have a non-traditional memorial service that isn’t religious or hire a funeral celebrant to lead a non-religious funeral. Your funeral service can be anything you want it to. Do you love golf? You can have a celebrant focus on your golf game. Are you a huge flower lover? Cover your funeral in flowers.
- Disposition Method – More and more people, especially younger generations, are choosing cremation over burial as, to them, burial is a waste of space, money, and time. In fact, the National Funeral Directors Association reports that more than half of the dispositions in the USA these days are cremations. But what do you want? Do you want to be buried? Cremated? You can still have a traditional funeral service if you want to be cremated, or you can have a non-traditional memorial service even if you want to be buried. It’s totally up to you! Your funeral director can help you determine what you want to be done with your remains before, at, and after the service.
- Choosing a Casket – Millennials are also looking to save money on funeral expenses, like caskets. Yes, some caskets are expensive. But there are tons of other options that are much more budget friendly. Your funeral director can advise you on the best one to choose for your needs and budget.
- Price Research – In addition to using Google, Yelp, and other websites to help you find a good funeral home you can also check the funeral home’s actual website to get a good idea of pricing. Funeral homes are required by law to provide clear and accurate prices for all of their services so you can get a good idea of what’s available and how much it will cost before you event step foot into a funeral home.
Planning your funeral doesn’t have to be stressful or painful with these tips. If you want more help just in get in touch with Michigan Cremation & Funeral Care, a Muskegon, MI funeral home, to learn more about preplanning and our services.